Zero Energy Case Studies
NZEC Zero Energy Residential Buildings
Inventory and Case Studies
The only centralized source of zero energy projects for the U.S. and Canada
NZEC conducted a massive effort to inventory and document zero energy projects from across the continent. This collective impact initiative provides an invaluable resource for sharing knowledge and catalyzing the market. We continue to build upon the inventory and database, and member and industry contributions are key to the quality and success.
This effort consists of two components:
1. Inventory of projects and report of findings and trends.
To contribute your project to our inventory, please fill in our online form (it’s short – about 1 minute per project).All residential projects can participate — single- and multifamily, new and retrofit, and whether completed, under construction, or just in the design or planning stages. Please report all of them.
Click below to enter a NEW project (one you have not entered before).
Click below to UPDATE a project you have reported before.
2. Case study database with more detailed information about each project, including technologies, design, marketing, and costs.
This easy-to-use, comprehensive database was developed in partnership with NESEA. To submit your project to our database, go to the NESEA website and complete the online forms with the appropriate information. Detailed instructions are here. Once we have reviewed your project, we will contact you directly and publish the case study.
Publishing your Zero Energy Projects is good for everyone — including you!
- Supercharge your marketing. Benefit from:
- Free, high-profile, nationwide publicity worth many times more than paid advertising
- Highlighting your leadership through inclusion in this exclusive collection
- Enhance your reputation. Show off:
- Testimony from happy clients (your #1 asset!)
- Your homes’ superior performance
- Give your clients a perk. Their projects in the database:
- Affirms their smart choice (& validates bragging rights)
- Provides an important record for financing, valuation, and future sale
- Accelerate change!
- Our young industry needs proven examples to make faster progress towards carbon reduction goals.
For questions about the inventory or case studies, contact: email@example.com PERFORMANCE CATEGORIES
Documentation must show that the renewable energy system …
|ZE||supplies 100% or more of the annual energy demand||· ILFI Net Zero Energy Building Certification
· Thousand Home Challenge (THC must designate project as ZE)
|Net producer||supplies 110% or more of the annual energy demand||N/A|
|ZE-ready1||can supply 90% or more of the annual energy demand (or could, if/when RE is added or system capacity is increased); AND/OR energy use data are not available||· DOE ZERH
· Earth Advantage Net Zero & Net Zero Ready
· PHI ‘Classic’, ‘Plus’ & ‘Premium’
Documentation must show that the occupants …
|Thousand Home Challenge||have earned THC standing for deep energy reductions in existing homes, whether or not they include renewable energy||· Thousand Home Challenge|
- Projects that have been labeled, certified, or rated under these programs qualify automatically for inclusion in the database, so long as required supporting documentation is provided.